POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : milky glass problem : Re: milky glass problem Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:13:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: milky glass problem
Date: 25 Feb 2002 16:39:48
Message: <3c7aaf24@news.povray.org>
Hi,

> It will, however, work on the mesh as a whole, won't it?

Possibly. But this is not of interest since almost each triangle in the mesh
has a different texture and (would have) therefore different interiors.

> Meshes silently drop degenerate triangles.  Keep in mind that there's more
> ways for a triangle - especially a smooth triangle - to be degenerate than
> just the obvious "collinear vertices" one.

Like?

> I seem to recall having mentioned this in one of my posts on the subject.
> If you enclose your entire scene in a big black sphere, it will work as
you
> might expect.  However, it still won't be "right" because the mesh has an

I don't understand why the same effect (called interior and it's media)
behaves completely different on different primitives. In a hollow sphere it
works as expected. If POV allows the same statement in a triangle, I expect
this behavior too. But nope. It's completely different.
See the attached pic for that: It is base on the scene posted by Ken. In the
foreground you see two smooth_triangles. Left one with media interior, right
one has just rgbf texture. The two spheres in the background also have
interior with media. The scene is lit from the background.
As you can see clearly: in case of the triangle the media is only visible if
there is something BEHIND it. This is not the case for the spheres.
Where's the clue?

> infinite interior.  The right way to do this, like it or not, is to make
> your object actually look like something you could make in real life.

Unfortunately this would overload my PC. And possibly even yours. Nature is
more complex than any computer avaliable today could handle.... So I need
some simplification. And in fact we all use simplifications like normals,
textures and all the nice POV features. Normals are used to replace
tiny-detail-modelling (every object should have the SHAPE and not a
mathematical shape with normals stick on it). Similar situation for
textures.

However.... obviously for me it is just not possible to manage. Maybe I can
tune the texture so that it is sufficient.
Thanks,
regards
SY

Post a reply to this message